Saturday 22 February 2014

Task 4A- Developing Questions for Professional Inquiry


After looking at Reader 4, I’ve spent some time thinking about areas of inquiry within my professional practice I want to explore more and develop to enhance my future career.

The difficulty I had whilst thinking of questions of inquiry is combining my singing teaching, my early years T.A. teaching and my experience of working as a professional Musical theatre performer together.  

My experience as a professional musical theatre performer has a great influence on my teaching style within the classroom setting and private setting, I feel it helps me look at teaching pupils from a different angle by bringing energy, enthusiasm and create ideas to the classroom.

It’s important for me to develop areas of inquiry that combine all my areas of professional practice that I participate in on a daily basis. By developing an inquiry that has this combination will give me confidence in applying for PGCE/QTS qualification after my degree, as this will give me an upper hand during interviews for future career opportunities discussing topics that are relevant to my daily professional practice.

Below are some possible questions of inquiry, please feel free to comment and suggest ways to improve and develop them:

·         How effective are the use of management signals/actions  to control behaviour within a classroom setting?

 

·         Does singing and movement help with early years development e.g. fine/gross motor skills, imagination, phonics, social skills etc.

 

·         Does learning phonetic sounds with actions and rhymes help pupils retain information and develop their pupil progress.

 

·         Having fun, energetic, fast paced lessons make learning more fun and enjoyable for pupils within a class setting e.g. singing lessons, Read, write, ink sessions?

 

·         Does a pupil gain from private singing lesson 1:1 than being taught within a group class?

 

·         Do ex performers make more creative, imaginative teachers?

 

·         How/Does my performing experience and professional training influence my singing teaching style and technique?

 

·         By planning and following a lesson plan for my singing teaching lessons are they more effective in developing pupil’s talent and progress?

 

When discussing ideas of inquiry with my SIG I also touched areas of the following;

·         Cognitive learning- Singing warm-up exercises tried out on older pupils compared to younger pupils.

·         Learning differences- speed of learning an exercise.

·         Competence of maintaining correction and ability.

 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Natalie,

    I have just read your comment on my blog and see you teach young children too. You stated that the levels of engagement varies in the age of pupils,I couldn't agree more. When I first started to teach I couldn't work out how on earth I could keep the attention of the really young ones (yr2&3) for the whole hour I had them. In recent weeks after gaining feedback from other teachers I noticed that I did need to make the activities action led and short. I was spending too much time on a single activity to help them improve their technique. However in the last couple of weeks I have made activities shorter and I have noticed how much more engaged the children are. It seems more exciting for them to move onto something new rather than getting bored. Thanks for your feedback on how to manage a class, I will take this on board and see how it works for me. Have you created a SIG group at all? if you have could you add me in to it? As I guess your SIG group will be linked to teaching?
    Thanks,

    Mel :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Natalie

    Your questions are really interesting to me as i think im going to be looking into the difference of styles between a classroom teacher and dance teacher. I really like your question about seeing if having a fun, energetic lessons is more enjoyable and fun for the pupil. What I would consider is will this affect the progress of learning for the pupil, and how useful it actually is in a classroom setting. Have you found it to be useful in your teaching?

    Brilliant questions, I think your results from these questions will be very useful in your inquiry.

    Ashleigh xXx

    ReplyDelete